Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Making a Difference

It's looking like all the hours I put in and sacrifices I made this summer are going to produce something truly meaningful - on a level that I did not anticipate. While I would hope that my new curriculum is meaningful to my general ed students regardless, I had a great conversation with our counselor yesterday, and we are going to look into using my new web-based courses as a form of credit recovery. We may be able to eliminate part of the scheduling nightmare that comes from having only one teacher per department and one section per class.  I'm so excited at the possibility of being able to offer students another another "equalizing" opportunity within our small district. If even one student who struggled in the past can graduate on time because I have torn down the walls of my classroom and provided expanded access to quality education all of the "blood, sweat, and tears" (no actual blood, of course, but re-working curriculum in Iowa in June, July, and August = plenty of sweat and tears) will be all that much more worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment